Team Review Menu item is not visible

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I installed TeamReview.  The Work Item is visible and was able to create a Team Review work item.  Actually a team member created one and assigned it to me.  I am the Code Reviewer.  It comes up when I look at "My Work Items".  I grabbed latest to ensure I have the latest solution/code.  Looking at the example provided on this site it shows to highlight some code, right-click, and the Team Review Menu Item should appear.  I am not getting the Team Review Menu Item.  Am I missing a step?  I think Team Review was installed correctly.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Oscar Bautista

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Hi Oscar,

If you are not seeing the Team Review menu items,

check the Addin is available and turned on. In Visual Studio menus, Tools -> Add-in Manager...

TeamReview should be listed with the Startup checkbox ticked.

The installation copies the file TeamReview.VSNetAddin.Addin to a location on the Visual Studio addins path (the installation also changes paths within that file).

ie. you should find file TeamReview2008.VSNetAddIn.Addin (or 2010) at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins

The addins file must be on a path that Visual Studio "knows" about - see VS menus:- Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Add-in/Macros Security

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM

I didnt see the Addin in the Visual Studio menus, Tools -> Add-in Manager...  so I ran the MSI.  I then saw the TeamReview2008.VSNetAddIn.Addin in this path:

%allusersprofile%\application data\microsoft\msenvshared\addins

which is a path in the Add-in/Macros Security.  I rebooted the Server and still do not see the add-in in Add-ins Manager.  I am running TFS 2010, but see TeamReview2008.VSNetAddIn.Addin and not 2010.  Is there a 2010 version?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Yes there is a 2010 version. Use control panel to uninstall the 2008 version and re-install the 2010 version. Should be no need for Reboots.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Thanks bluess57.  I imported the 2008 xml files.  Do I need to remove these and install the 2008 versions?  If yes, what is the command to uninstall the Work Item?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 3:20 AM
Edited Aug 3, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I'd leave the work items as they are for the moment.

If you hit a problem with the work items, there is a post in discussions written by me, about completely removing the work items.

(see this:- http://teamreview.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=155556 )

The only problem you may encouter is with WIT field name relating to "Related Link Count".

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:41 AM

I'd like to just delete the Work Item I imported and re-import it.  The only harm with this is that I will lose Work Items created using it, correct?  All other Work Item types will not be affected, correct?  Can I use the information on the post you referenced (eventhough I am using TFS 2010)?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 3:47 AM

If you use  "tfpt.exe destroywitd /workitemtype:"Code Item"" then yes you will lose existing Work Items of "Code Item". tfpt.exe should work with TFS2010, there is a 2010 version of it.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Thanks again.  All of that worked perfectly.  I am almost there.  Thanks for helping me.  When I highlight code, right-click, Team Review menu item now appears.  I select "Code Item"  and the appropriate Window comes up.  I entered all information and now am receiving this message:

The project 'MSCC.FAWebsite' does not have the necessary TeamReview work item type. The 'MSCC.FAWebsite' project may be used because it's where the Associated Item is stored or the source of the Query you selected

To setup a Team System project for TeamReview usage please use the following directions from the TeamReview codeplex site.

Not sure what I need to do....

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Is the solution checked-in into the team project with the Code Item work item type?

(Please save and checkin the solution, close and re-open the solution)

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Solution is checked-in.  I have saved, closed, and re-opened.  Receive same message.

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2010 at 12:07 AM

To rule out if there is something going awry with the solution, please create a new simple solution containing a console application project. Save/Checkin/Close/Reopen and retry TeamReview.

Also is there anything in the TeamReview log file in the installation directory?

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Tried creating a new solution and same thing.

Where is the TeamReview log file in the installation directory?

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM

It will only exist if there is any exception raised by Visual Studio/TeamReview Addin. Location is C:\Program Files\TeamReview\TeamReview (2010)

From the error message you have above, I'm uncertain as whether the work item exists in the Team Project you are working with.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Not sure if this is the reason, but in order to get the Team Review Menu Item to appear on another machine, connected to TFS, I had to install the MSI on that other machine.  Was this necessary?  When you say whether you are not sure if the Work Item exists - are you referring to the Work Item Type or an actual Work Item?

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM

TeamReview must be installed wherever Visual Studio is installed, it is a client side program. So yes the msi must be run.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:16 AM

okay.  so I am good with that.  You say you are not sure whether the Work Item exists in the Team Project.  I ran"listwid" command using "witadmin".  Note "Code Item" was installed.  I renamed to "Code Review" so developers can easily identify, but this shows the Team Project has the Work Item installed. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>witadmin listwitd /collec
tion:http://gaw3p006:8080/tfs/defaultcollection /p:mscc.fawebsite
Bug
Task
Issue
Change Request
Risk
Requirement
Review
Test Case
Shared Steps
Code Review

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:16 AM
Edited Aug 4, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Hi Oscar

1. Is the source code you are reviewing in a branch within the MSCC.FAWebsite Team Project?
  2. When you right click and are filling out the "New Code Item" form are you selecting a query for the "Query From" filed that explicitly queries the MSCC.FAWebsite team project?
  3. When you right click and are filling out the "New Code Item" form are you selecting a work item in the "Link To" field that is saved into the MSCC.FAWebsite team project?

Any "Yes" answers to the above questions will cause TeamReview to try to enter a new work item into the MSCC.FAWebsite Team Project even if the source code you are reviewing is in a branch in a different Team Project. This is necessary because TFS does not allow work item links between Team Projects, or for you to select a value in the "Assign To" field that may exist in the source code Team Project but not in the "Query From" or "Link To" Team Project.

The resolution is to upload the TeamReview work item type into the MSCC.FAWebsite Team Project.

JB

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Hi Oscar - I just read your response where you renamed the work item type. Could you check out my correction about Work Item names here - http://teamreview.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=222130

You'll need to rename it back to either "Code Item" or "Code Review Response"

Thanks,

JB

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM

bluess57 and jbbrown thanks so much for your help.  Renaming back to "Code Item" fixed the problem....