How to Debug

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM
  • Use the directions on the Source Code tab to get the code to your machine http://www.codeplex.com/TeamReview/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx
  • Open the project in Visual Studio
  • Open the Properties of the TeamReview.VSNetAddIn project
  • On the Debug tab make sure that the "Start External Program" and "Working Directory" values resolve correctly on your machine. These can be different for people who have a 64 bit OS, so check them to be sure.
  • Copy the "TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.AddIn" file in the "TeamReview.VSNetAddIn" project to your "My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Addins" directory or "My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Addins" depending on which version you want to debug.
  • In any text editor open the "TeamReview.VSNetAddIn" file that you just copied into the Addins directory
  • Change the value of the "<Assembly>" node to have a path that points to the TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.dll within it's bin directory when it is compiled in VS.Net. For example if my solution file is D:\TeamReview\2008\TeamReview.sln the <Assembly> node will be <Assembly>D:\TeamReview\2008\TeamReview.VSNetAddIn\bin\TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.dll</Assembly>
  • Now in Vs.Net start the debugger (hit the play button). This should cause a second instance of VS.Net to start with the first instance attached to it for debugging. You should be able to put breakpoints etc in the addin code in the first instance and take actions in the second instance such as showing the replay window or submitting a new Code Review Response and debug those actions.

Currently the code is not documented at all so feel free to post questions to this thread and I will respond. If you have any fixes you'd like made submit them as a Patch in the Source Code tab if it's a fairly involved change, otherwise posting them here or emailing them to me will work if it's a smaller change.

JB