TeamReview menu

May 22, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Hi

I have just started to use TeamReview along with TFSCodeReviewFlow and the biggest issue I seem to have is that when flowing the example:
http://www.codeplex.com/TeamReview
"Then in the IDE Joe CodeReviewer right clicks and uses the TeamReview menu"
I do not see a Team Review menu, where is this menu and how do I find it.

A walk through of how to use
TeamReview and TFSCodeReviewFlow would be great.
I'll try and add more notes on this once I see the Team Review Menu.

I have run the "TeamReview.Setup.msi" and installed the "Code Review Response.xml" so I should have most things.
What I have been doing is "Team->Add Code Review Response" but can not find the TeamReview menu.

Many Thanks
David
May 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM
First make sure that TeamReview has been makred as "Available" as an Add-in in Tools->Add-In Manager.  The "Avialable" and "Startup" checkboxes should be checked. Then you should be able to right click in a code document and see TeamReview in the context menu that pops up.

JB
May 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM
When the install failed due to my "My Documents" being on the share drive,  I actually copied the .addin file to my networked  My Documents\Visual Studio 8\addins (a path similar to that).  If it's in that path, it should open automatically when you start up VS.
May 22, 2008 at 10:20 PM
You're right, I was just checking the basics to get a start.  My understanding of the problem is that when you right click in a code file you are not seeing the "Team Review -> New Code Review Response" option in the context menu. Is that correct?

My basic troubleshooting steps are:
  1. Check that the add-in shows up in the Add-In manager and is active (which we already discussed)
  2. Check that the <Assembly> node value in the ".addin" file points to a location where the addin's dll can be found.
  3. Check that the <LoadBehavior> and <CommandPreload> nodes in the ".addin" file each have a value of "1"
  4. Check to be sure the addin is the correct version for the VSTS instance you are trying to use 2005 vs 2008. (An unlikely event, but I could see it happening to someone).

Also, I have it on my todo list to see if I can make the installer smarter so that this doesn't occur from the start.

JB

May 23, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Thanks for the help seems it was a problem with the install as I could not see it in Add-In manager.  I removed it in Add/Remove programs, downloaded again and reinstalled and I can now see it in Add-In manager.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Does this addin work with Vista?

I don't see the addin in the addin manager - also in vista there is no my documents folder!  There is a documents folder under the user.  The visual studio 2008 folder doesn't have an addin folder either.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Setup/Install and Addin further information.

Microsoft VS2008 will search a number of directories for add-ins.

To view the locations, in VS2008 see menu, Tools -> Options -> Add-in/Macros Security (under the environment branch in the treeview) 

Free Image Hosting

See Add-in File Paths in the right hand list.

TeamReview (2008) installs by default to this local directory -> C:\Program Files\TeamReview\TeamReview (2008)

In this directory is a copy of the addin definition file, TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.Addin, it's xml.

The <Assembly> element can be set to any path. By default it should be <Assembly>C:\Program Files\TeamReview\TeamReview (2008)\TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.DLL</Assembly>

The file TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.Addin just needs to be copied into any directory that VS2008 searches for addins.

The element <LoadBehavior> should be set to 1 to load the addin at VS2008 startup.

Cheers