How do I see diff's while doing a CR?!?

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:04 AM
Ok, I'm running into a big problem with using this tool.  I think it's great to have workitems for tracking code reviews, and a formal mechanism for communicating feedback is tremendously helpful, especially in a distributed development environment.  The problem I'm having is there doesn't appear to be any way to see and make comments on a code diff of the shelved change being reviewed against what is presently on the server.  I can think of several cumbersome ways to work around this, but I have got to believe that someone is working on a fix for this all ready.  I mean, reviewing code diff's is pretty fundamental to doing a code reivews... reviewing brand new code is the exception rather than the rule I'd think. 

How are other people dealing with the modality of the diff window in this scenario?
Coordinator
Jun 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2008 at 11:01 PM

jbed wrote:
Ok, I'm running into a big problem with using this tool.  I think it's great to have workitems for tracking code reviews, and a formal mechanism for communicating feedback is tremendously helpful, especially in a distributed development environment.  The problem I'm having is there doesn't appear to be any way to see and make comments on a code diff of the shelved change being reviewed against what is presently on the server.  I can think of several cumbersome ways to work around this, but I have got to believe that someone is working on a fix for this all ready.  I mean, reviewing code diff's is pretty fundamental to doing a code reivews... reviewing brand new code is the exception rather than the rule I'd think. 

How are other people dealing with the modality of the diff window in this scenario?

Does the Source Control -> Annotate feature in the 2005/2008 Power Tools help out some? Thanks for posting, I think you have expressed an important work flow issue. I have been thinking about how to effectively include version control historychangset history into TeamReview - however I haven't been able to come up with any concrete ideas that don't have significant issues. If you have suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
JB