How to tell which files are pending code review

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:08 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM
My Dev Team who prefers that source control allow single check-out ONLY is looking into using TeamReview but there is just one question about the process...

Between the time that the developer has shelved his changes for code review and before the reviewer has had a chance to unshelve the files, is there a way for other Developers to tell that those files are pending code review so they don't check them out?
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:14 AM
There's nothing specific in TeamReview to account for a file's review status. If you have a single check-out enabled, and you want to avoid having code churn between code review and implementation then I would simply suggest leaving the files checked out after shelving.

TeamReview does however have some leniency for code that changes between review and replay. Even if the code has changed enough that the Replay doesn't get you to the exact code all of the necessary information from when the code was reviewed is in the work items that get created during Review.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
JB
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Thanks for the response but I must not be thinking through the process correctly so please set me straight...

Given this scenario:

Developer finishes code and wants files reviewed, shelves the files, checking "Preserve pending changes locally" to keep the files locked on the server so that another Developer cannot check-out and make changes.

Then, how does Reviewer bring down the code on the VS IDE without checking out the files?  Wouldn't Reviewer have to unshelve the shelveset?  When Reviewer tries to unshelve, VS is wanting to check-out the files but since they remain locked by the Developer and source control multiple check-out is disabled, Reviewer is unable to pull up the code to review on VS.

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Good point, I didn't think that all the way through. Yes, the reviewer would have to unshelve the shelveset which would cause an attempt to check-out on their part. So, preserving pending changes locally combined with single-checkout doesn't seem to be an option.

Another option is for the Reviewee to use the "Lock Dialog" on the files being reviewed and choose the "Check-In" option. This will allow reviewers to unshelve the pending changes (invoking the check-out) but will not allow them to check-in until the reviewer Un-Locks those files.

JB

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:26 PM, qcommerce <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks for the response but I must not be thinking through the process correctly so please set me straight...

Given this scenario:

Developer finishes code and wants files reviewed, shelves the files, checking "Preserve pending changes locally" to keep the files locked on the server so that another Developer cannot check-out and make changes.

Then, how does Reviewer bring down the code on the VS IDE without checking out the files?  Wouldn't Reviewer have to unshelve the shelveset?  When Reviewer tries to unshelve, VS is wanting to check-out the files but since they remain locked by the Developer and source control multiple check-out is disabled, Reviewer is unable to pull up the code to review on VS.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
JB Brown

Email  JB@ControlStatements.com
Blog    http://www.ControlStatements.com
Code   http://www.codeplex.com/TeamReview
Twitter @jbbrown
Mar 4, 2009 at 9:07 PM
The other option of having the Reviewee use the "Lock Dialog" on the files being reviewed and choose the "Check-In" option would have been a good work-around.  The problem is VS does not allow lock for checkin when multiple checkout is disabled.

I wonder how other teams that require single checkout get around the issue or is this cause for allowing multiple checkouts?
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Ah. Well, I am not being very helpful am I? I guess you can tell that I've never used the single checkout option by now. :)

Sorry, let me know if you come up with an answer. I think don't think the work-flow issues you are facing are TeamReview specific. It seems you would have them in any code review process that required Shelving or Checking in to review the code - which seems likely to be in most review processes.

JB

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM, qcommerce <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The other option of having the Reviewee use the "Lock Dialog" on the files being reviewed and choose the "Check-In" option would have been a good work-around.  The problem is VS does not allow lock for checkin when multiple checkout is disabled.

I wonder how other teams that require single checkout get around the issue or is this cause for allowing multiple checkouts?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
JB Brown

Email  JB@ControlStatements.com
Blog    http://www.ControlStatements.com
Code   http://www.codeplex.com/TeamReview
Twitter @jbbrown
Mar 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM
I appreciate your help anyway and I agree that it's not an issue with TeamReview.  I'll see if I can get an answer from other forums and get back to you if I find one.