How to setup code review with Scrum

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Hello,

I am using the team system 2008. We are using scrum templates  and Task board (<cite>www.scrumforteamsystem.com/en/TaskBoard/default.aspx - </cite>).

Now I dont have any acces to TFS Server; I am just having visual studio 2008 team system connected to TFS (server is in Netherlands) and I am seating in India.

I want to introduct proeper code review procedure within the scrum. 

Also refer http://dotnet.org.za/cjlotz/archive/2008/08/25/code-reviews-using-tfs-tools.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

How can I do it.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Hi Subodhpatil -

A windows session on the TFS Server is not needed, and the particular Process Template being used (Scrum, Agile, CMMI, etc) does not matter. However being in the Project Administrator role of your TFS Project is a necessity. If you, or a colleague, are in that role then you can use witimport.exe or TFS Power Tools on your client machine to upload the Code Review Response.xml Work Item Type Definition into the Team Project on your TFS server. Then, each developer would install the TeamReview add-in on their client and could start using TeamReview for proper code reviews from within the VS IDE.

For more details on using witimport.exe or TFS Power Tools to setup a TFS Project for TeamReview see this discussion post - http://teamreview.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=25834

It sounds like you may be in a distributed work environment, which was one of the major motiviations for the creation of TeamReview. As such, I am very glad you found TeamReview and would like to use it!

Thanks for your interest in TeamReview!

JB

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Hello JB,

Thanks for you reply.

With help of my TFS Administrator I installed the template on the TFS with some test project and evaluating it.

I feel its very great tool. The video is also great for quick explanation.  Can you also show it how it works for more than one review cycles and how reviewer can finally say ok its accepted.

Now let me ask you how can it be used for process management and improvement.

Like can I genrate some reports on all previous CodeReview Work item say  how many code review points were there for perticular PBI , how many review cycle it took to accept code of certain PBI.

And more detailed report of management type like defect ratio etc. which can be used for improving the team and indivisual.

Thanks,

Subodh Patil.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Subodh - Hopefully you are stil enjoying TeamReview!

We are working on some reporting for TeamReview, but haven't published anything yet. Hopefull it will come soon.

For the rest of your questions about process and life-cycle I must give the standard IT answer - it depends. TeamReview can not be prescriptive about the exact process/workflow for code reviews becauase there are so many different ones employed in the industry, we don't target any. Instead the vision for the product is to try to do a good job of providing the core mechanics of submitting code review commetns and being able to act on that information in a low-friction & high value way.

Thanks,

JB

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:33 AM

when i get published

scrum process