Setup problems

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:06 PM

I've been assessing TeamReview recently as the project team I support are really keen to have a code review process and this addin promises a really great solution.

Unfortunately I have had problems

1.95% of the time I get
"The project is either not a TFS project or has not been setup to use TeamReview"

My colleague who is also testing it has not had any problems, the major difference between us is that I am an Admin which means I switch my connection to different TFS servers.

2. No "Code Review Response" workitems are getting created

The pointer goes to an hourglass for a second or so, however no error messages are produced and no new workitems are created.

Setup
TFS 2005         - Server
VS  2005 SP1  - Client
TeamReview 1.0.7

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:11 PM
The post submitted before I had finished!

Any help in resolving these problems would be appreciated.

Thanks, Toby
Sep 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM
Toby - Have a look at my response in this thread: http://www.codeplex.com/TeamReview/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=32626 it may simply be that your visual studio is in offline mode. This happens to me sometimes when I switch between my work server and the Code Plex tfs servers. Respond back with what you find and we'll continue to trouble shoot the issue together.

JB

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM

OK I've had a look through and

1. The code you are working on is not bound to TFS source control 
<o:p>
            This is trying to review code checked into TFS, though because of the size of the whole project my workspace is set $PROJ/DIR1/DIR2  -> c:\workspaces

Does this matter?

2. Your Visual Studio is in "Offline" mode and can't do the connection to determine the TFS workspace mappings <o:p></o:p>

How do I check this?

I have tested this with a client running on a workstation and on the TFS server itself.

3. The Code Review Response is not a work item type in the Team Project

This can't be the problem since it works for my colleague connecting to the same server.

Thanks for your help, Toby
</o:p>

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:03 PM
1. No - I don't think it should matter, but I have also never tried that.
2. In solution explorer right click on the Solution and see if there is a "Go Online.." option. It only shows up when you are offline, so if you don't see it then being offline is not the problem.
3. Same Server and Same TFS Project? The work item type has to be imported into each TFS project that you want to use TeamReview.

JB

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM
A breakthrough!!! The problem I was having was that I didn't have a .sln file open in Solution Explorer. As I'm an admin rather than a developer I don't typically open the .NET projects so that was why I was getting the problem.

Unfortunately this will limit the usefulness of your Code Review tool because over 50% of the development we do in TFS are scripts which are then used in a 3rd party product not .NET code.

Would it be possible for it to work without needing to

1. Have a .NET project open? (Being able to review all code not just in .NET projects)
2. Have a workspace mapped for the source code? (Being able to review the code from the copy on the server without needing to have a copy in your workspace?)

I haven't had time to be able to look at progressing my second query 'No "Code Review Response" workitems are getting created' today, but I thought I would update on my findings so far...
Sep 29, 2008 at 6:53 PM
Unfortunately the way TeamReview works right now is that it uses the source control bindings to get the TFS connection information for submitting and querying work items and such and those bindings are retrieved from the active open Solution in Visual Studio. I have had feedback about your point before but didn't give it much thought. I will have to re-consider now. There is another way to get TFS project information (from the Active TFS project in Team Explorer) - maybe I can revert to that if no source control bindings are in use. Originally TeamReview used the active TFS project in TeamExplorer, but it wasn't always accurate to the files being reviewed and worked on. I'll have to give it another try and see before I can commit to anything.

Also - thanks for the effort in figuring out what was wrong. I find it emmensly valuable, and sincerely appreciate your work. It's a "feel-good" for open source when situations like this happen.

JB

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM, tobyt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

A breakthrough!!! The problem I was having was that I didn't have a .sln file open in Solution Explorer. As I'm an admin rather than a developer I don't typically open the .NET projects so that was why I was getting the problem.

Unfortunately this will limit the usefulness of your Code Review tool because over 50% of the development we do in TFS are scripts which are then used in a 3rd party product not .NET code.

Would it be possible for it to work without needing to

1. Have a .NET project open? (Being able to review all code not just in .NET projects)
2. Have a workspace mapped for the source code? (Being able to review the code from the copy on the server without needing to have a copy in your workspace?)

I haven't had time to be able to look at progressing my second query 'No "Code Review Response" workitems are getting created' today, but I thought I would update on my findings so far...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

The second issue was one reported by my colleague, which I haven't been able to reproduce, and as he's on holiday this week it will have to wait until he comes back.

It would be really good if the enhancement to get the file location from "Source Control Explorer" or similiar was done as it will make it easier to use and more versatile.

Thanks, Toby