Custom Code Reviewer List

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Is it possible to have/create a custom list of code reviewers that will populate the Assign To field?  I'd like to have a subset of the developers available for selection in the Assign To field when a developer checks in code and creates the task for code review.

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Just to clarify, you are talking about the "Create Code Review Response" dialog?

This is a feature that could be implemented, if there is interest.

At the moment, as you are aware, TeamReview retrieves "all users" in the team project.

One possible way to achieve it (if you want to change your source code in the meantime), is to Create a project group say "Code Reviewers", assign users into the group. Modify TFSService.cs methods SetUsers() and AddCodeChangers().

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Actually, I'm not referring to the "Create Code Review Response", but the workflow step just before that (step 1 in the overview flowchart PDF file).  I'm referring to the task assignment of a developer when coding is complete and ready for check in.  I don't want the developer to have the ability to choose another junior developer as the code reviewer, thus I need to be able to control the list of code reviewers that can be selected when the code is ready for review.

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM

mtanner -

The connection between TFS Code Review Workflow and TeamReview is a very common one and should address your need.

"TFS Code Review Workflow" has a work item type called "Code Review" and a step for creating a "Code Reviewers" group. Then in step 1 of the TeamReview workflow you wouldn't create a Task and assign it to a reviewer, instead you would create the new "Code Review" work item type and assign it to one of the people you have added to the "Code Reviewers" group.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

JB Brown, Team System MVP