VS2010 RC Right-click Message Box

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I have just installed VS2010 RC on a Server 2003 machine along with the TeamReview_2010_1_1_2. The template install on the TFS server did not error, the client install succeeded as well.

I am connected to TFS and have a solution open.

From the Team Menu, "New Code Review Response" is available and does work.

If I highlight code, right-click and choose Team Review -> New Code Review Response, I receive a message box with the following text:

TeamReview is the most complete solution for Team System Code Reviews: a specific work item type and a Visual Studio add-in for a completely in IDE code review experience.
To use TeamReview Visual Studio must be online, a Visual Studio Solution must be open and within a Team System workspace mapping. Additionally Team Projects that that will store work items must have the Code Review Response work item type.
To setup a Team System project for TeamReview usage please use the following directions from the TeamReview codeplex site.
Thank You,
TeamReview contributors

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Hi - A 2010 RC compatible release will be coming out in the next few days.

JB

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I am glad to hear that you are creating an RC-compatible release, as I am just about to introduce TeamReview as the code review tool for my team of developers (great product by the way). I was in the middle of creating the documentation when I found that TR didn't work with the release candidate! Any news on when an updated release will be ready for download?

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:22 PM
The contributors plan on making a go/no go decision tonight (about 12 hours from now). We have been testing for a few days and everything looks good so far, so it's likely that it will be published tonight and at worse case delayed a day for a bug fix.

We are, however, introducing some changes that may change your documentation (and ours). My response to this thread explains the changes: http://teamreview.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=80961

Thanks for introducing TeamReview to your team.
JB

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:36 AM, essenbee <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I am glad to hear that you are creating an RC-compatible release, as I am just about to introduce TeamReview as the code review tool for my team of developers (great product by the way). I was in the middle of creating the documentation when I found that TR didn't work with the release candidate! Any news on when an updated release will be ready for download?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TeamReview@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
JB Brown, Visual Studio ALM MVP

Email  JB@ControlStatements.com
Blog    http://www.ControlStatements.com
Code   http://TeamReview.codeplex.com
Twitter @jbbrown
Feb 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Sounds exciting! Its not too late for me to adopt a new way of working with TR, so I am looking forwards to the release.

Many thanks for the response!

Stuart

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Hi Stuart - I just wanted to let you know that we are delaying the release for at-least 1 day. There is some more testing I would like to do with the 2005 installer.  My

Thanks - hopefully tomorrow...

JB

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Thanks for the update. Will be waiting keenly.

Cheers, Stuart

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM
It's released!  - http://teamreview.codeplex.com/releases/view/40528

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Downloaded and installed on V2010 Rc, although I had to make the following changes to the "Code Item en.xml" file in order to get it to load with witadmin importwitd:

• rename Iteration ID to IterationID
  • rename Area ID to AreaID

Hope this helps. I am going to be experimenting with the new version over the next few days whilst writing up my documentation; I'll let you know if I come across anything.

Cheers,

Stuart

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Thanks for resolving the problem and providing the quality info. When you have time could tell me your VS and TFS environment setup along with which download you used for the WIT? IE did you migrate a 2008 TFS to RC 1 or install a clean RC 1? Etc...

Thanks,

JB

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:56 AM

We are on a recent install of TFS 2010 Beta 2, having not yet moved to the RC. I have however moved in the past fortnight to VS 2010 RC, with the TFS Power Tools 2010 Rc installed as well. The download was the 2010 one and the file I updated as the English version of the Code Item XML. Hope that is sufficient; if not let me know.

Thanks,

Stuart

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I am using VS 2010 Ultimate Beta 2 and TFS 2010 Beta 2. I installed 1.1.3 of TeamReview on the TFS and also the client add-in. I modified the TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.Addin file's <Assembly> to reflect the install location for TeamReview. I also put the addin file in c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0/Common7/IDE/Addins. Lastly, I pointed the Ad-In File Paths to include the TeamReview installation location under Tools-->Options-->Add-In/Macros Security.

I can see the Add-in under Tools-->Add-in Manager and the available and startup boxes are checked. I also can create the "Code Review Response" work item type.

The problem I am having is I cannot see the "Team Review" right click menu options. My ALM test project was setup prior to installing TeamReview. Any suggestions on why I would not see the right click menu options for TeamReview?

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM

BTW, I also fixed the IterationID and AreaID values in the xml file for the work item import.

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 9:22 PM
caponeman wrote:

I am using VS 2010 Ultimate Beta 2 and TFS 2010 Beta 2. I installed 1.1.3 of TeamReview on the TFS and also the client add-in. I modified the TeamReview.VSNetAddIn.Addin file's <Assembly> to reflect the install location for TeamReview. I also put the addin file in c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0/Common7/IDE/Addins. Lastly, I pointed the Ad-In File Paths to include the TeamReview installation location under Tools-->Options-->Add-In/Macros Security.

I can see the Add-in under Tools-->Add-in Manager and the available and startup boxes are checked. I also can create the "Code Review Response" work item type.

The problem I am having is I cannot see the "Team Review" right click menu options. My ALM test project was setup prior to installing TeamReview. Any suggestions on why I would not see the right click menu options for TeamReview?

Please check the contents of the TeamReview.log file for any exceptions, in the installation folder of TeamReview.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:43 PM

The TeamReview.log does not exist. I am using Vista. I noticed if I changed the name of the install folder, I would get an error when loading VS2010 about not being able to find the Add-In referenced in C:\Users\<MyUser>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins\TeamReview2010.VSNetAddIn.Addin. So it appears VS is loading the plug-in when the path is found, but I still do not see the right-click context menu for TeamReview. Should the right-click options for TeamReview only be shown in certain circumstances? Or should I be able to create "Core Review Response" work items by right clicking at any time?

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM
caponeman wrote:

The TeamReview.log does not exist. I am using Vista. I noticed if I changed the name of the install folder, I would get an error when loading VS2010 about not being able to find the Add-In referenced in C:\Users\<MyUser>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins\TeamReview2010.VSNetAddIn.Addin. So it appears VS is loading the plug-in when the path is found, but I still do not see the right-click context menu for TeamReview. Should the right-click options for TeamReview only be shown in certain circumstances? Or should I be able to create "Core Review Response" work items by right clicking at any time?

Just confirm you have a solution/project open which is bound to tfs source control

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I have a colleague that recently installed VS2010 RC and it works as designed. I am downloading/installing the RC and will let you know if TeamReview right clicks work with that version of VS.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 9:31 PM

OK, using VS2010RC is better than staying with the beta.

BTW, Addins did not function with VS2010 Beta1

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Works perfectly under VS 2010 RC.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM
caponeman wrote:

I have a colleague that recently installed VS2010 RC and it works as designed. I am downloading/installing the RC and will let you know if TeamReview right clicks work with that version of VS.

Worked perfectly fine for me!

R. Omeor